Coconut Flour is very high in fiber, low in carbohydrates and a good source of protein. It gives baked goods a rich, springy texture but needs a lot more liquid than other flours. If you haven't tried coconut flour yet, here are some more excellent reasons to start:
1. DIABETICS: Coconut Flour consists of the highest percentage of dietary fiber found in any flour. Fiber helps moderate swings in blood sugar by slowing down the absorption of sugar into the blood stream. This helps keep blood sugar and insulin levels under control.
2. CANCER: Coconut flour is fermentable and produces high amounts of butyric acid which helps in stopping tumor formation. Studies have proven that butyric acid slows the growth of tumor cells and prompt all cells to develop properly. Coconut fiber also promotes good bacteria flourish which boosts our immune system. The high fiber content acts like a broom, sweeping the intestinal contents through the digestive tract. Parasites, toxins, and carcinogens are swept along with the fiber. This prevents toxins that irritate intestinal tissues and cause cancer from getting lodged in the intestinal tract (decreases colon cancer). Since it is low carb, it also helps people maintain a low carb/sugar diet to stop feeding the cancer glucose which the cancer "feeds" upon. Read more on Cancer HERE.
3. HEMORRHOIDS: The high fiber content can help move things along. Just remember to consume extra water when you add in fiber or things can get worse!
4. GALLSTONES: Gallstones form within the gallbladder as a result of collection of cholesterol and salts from bile. Bile plays an important role in the absorption of fats from the intestinal tract because it makes fats soluble. Most bile is formed in the liver. A low carb, high fiber diet with LOTS of liquids will help keep this painful condition away!
5. IBS/Crohn's/COLITUS: IBS is a disorder of the nerves in the intestines that make the bowel muscle contract. Coconut flour can help keep the intestines flowing properly.
6. CANDIDA, CRAVINGS and DEPRESSION: The intestines crave good bacteria which improves absorption of vitamins, decreases cravings and increases serotonin. Good bacteria flourish when we eat high-fiber quality food. Yeasts causes an imbalance, letting bad bacteria in; they love sugar and starch. Yeast and bad bacteria damages the intestinal wall and produces toxic by-products which can be absorbed into the blood and sent throughout the body. This is how food allergies and leaky-gut syndrome begins.
7: HEART DISEASE/STROKE/BLOOD PRESSURE: Studies have proven that coconut fiber protects against heart attacks and strokes; it helps reduce cholesterol. Even modest increases in fiber intake can also significantly reduce blood pressure.
8. NO PHYTATES: Most fibrous foods such as seeds, wheats, and oats have phytic acid. This acid causes mineral deficiencies because it binds to minerals in the foods we consume (calcium, zinc and iron). Phytic acid pulls them out of the body resulting in mineral deficiencies. Coconut fiber does not contain phytic acid so it helps improve mineral status when you replace this for wheat flour in your baked goods.
9. WEIGHT LOSS: It has fewer digestible carbohydrates than other flours, and it even has fewer than many vegetables! It also helps keep you fuller longer.
10. HEART BURN/INDIGESTION: he most obvious remedy is to avoid all those foods which can cause heartburn, such as acidic foods and alcohol. High fiber, low carb foods also help with the bacteria in your stomach.
11. GLUTEN-FREE: Coconut Flour is gluten-free and still has a ton of protein without the "gluten" protein found in wheat. This is an awesome substitution for the growing population of people who have a wheat sensitivity or allergy (many people have without knowing it).
My dad's favorite cookie is the Pecan Sandie. This one is for you dad! I love you:)
"HEALTHIFIED" PECAN SANDIE
3/4 cup pecan meal
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1 stick butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup Just Like Brown Sugar
1/4 cup erythritol (or ZSweet)
1 tsp stevia glycerite (omit if using ZSweet)
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, Just Like Brown Sugar, erythritol and stevia. Cream for a few minutes until very fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together the pecan meal (I grind my own pecans with THIS food processor), coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth. Roll 2 TBS of dough into a ball in your hands (for uniform shape) onto a cookie sheet, then press down to they are about ¾ of an inch thick. Place cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before removing and enjoy! I keep mine in the freezer (for portion control!:) Makes 12 cookies.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cookie)
Traditional Cookie = 180 calories 25 effective carbs
"Healthified" Cookie = 115 calories, 1.5 effective carbs
VARIATION: Smoosh my "healthified" Butter Pecan Ice Cream in between to cookies!
Coconut flour also works great for my "healthified" pancakes!