Nature's Hollow sugar-free products are a great-tasting, healthful blend of fruit and a natural sweetener called Xylitol. Xylitol is a 5-carbon sugar alcohol that is ideal for diabetics and those concerned about sugar intake. Unlike sugar, Xylitol has a very low glycemic index and has fewer calories.
XYLITOL= Xylitol occurs naturally in many fruits and vegetables and is even produced by the human body during normal metabolism. Manufacturers make it from plants such as birch and other hard wood trees and fibrous vegetation. Some people prefer the taste of xylitol. I only use it when I have to due to since it has a higher calorie content and causes an increase in insulin. Before I found JUST LIKE SUGAR, I used this for my caramel sauce.
CALORIES = 2.4 calories/gram; 1 tsp has 9.6 calories and 1 tsp of sugar has 15 calories (40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbs than table sugar)
CONVERSION= Same as table sugar. Use cup for cup.
1. Reduces Cavities: It does not break down like sugar and keeps a neutral pH level in the mouth. Xylitol prevents bacteria from sticking to the teeth, which protects the teeth from tooth decay. Acid-producing bacteria falls as much as 90%. After eating xylitol, the bacteria do not stick well on the surface of the teeth which decrease plaque buildup.
2. Reduces Ear Infections: It has be used as medicine in stopping bacterial growth to help prevent ear infections in young children. It also clears out excess earwax and inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria in the pharyngotympanic tubes.
3. Helps with Asthma: Since asthma is linked to chronic post-nasal drip, xylitol can also help by breaking the cycle of bronchial inflammation.
4. Help clear up Candida (yeast overgrowth).
5. Increases White Blood Cells: Increasing immune health and protects us from chronic disease and bacterial infections.
6. Protects newborns from streptococcus if the nursing mother consumes this. It is proven to help decrease this oral bacteria by 80%.
7. Decrease Allergies and Sinus Infections: They now have a nasal spray made of xylitol because it decreases the harmful bacteria that gather in the cells of our nose.
8. Reduces Ovarian Cysts, PCOS and Breast Cancer: Consuming sugar creates high insulin levels which increase the production of estrogens, leading to an estrogen-dominant condition, and also interfere with healthy ovarian function. Insulin resistance is a major cause of a growing hormonal problem called polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Signs that the body is being exposed to higher levels of the male hormones include acne, loss of head hair, and an increase in body hair. Lowering insulin levels is crucial for not only treating PCOS but also resolving most other hormonal imbalances, including those leading to breast cancer.
UNDESIRED PROPERTIES = Xylitol has very few known side effects, although some people report diarrhea when adding xylitol into their diets.
Charts like this for all the sweeteners I use are listed in THE ART OF EATING HEALTHY.
1 lb ground pork
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 tsp Organic Tamari sauce (wheat free soy sauce)
1-2 TBS NATURE'S HOLLOW Apricot Jelly (optional "Duck Sauce" flavor)
Coconut oil/butter/sesame oil for frying
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup unflavored egg white or whey protein
2 oz cream cheese, softened
FILLING: Season pork with ginger and garlic powder and mix thoroughly. Heat mixture in a medium skillet, stirring, until pork is cooked through and no longer pink. Add in the cabbage, Tamari sauce and no-sugar apricot jelly. Fry until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Set aside to fill the "wrapper."
"WRAPPER": Separate the eggs (save the yolks for a different recipe), and whip the whites in a clean, dry, cool bowl for a few minutes until VERY stiff). Blend in the whey protein. Slowly stir in the cream cheese (without breaking down the whites). Heat the oil in a fry pan on medium high until a drop of water will sizzle. Once it is hot, place a circle of dough on the pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove from heat and place on a plate. Fill with cabbage mixture and enjoy! Makes 12 servings.
Optional: Wrap into foil for easy lunches at work!
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Egg Rolls = 334 calories, 14.2g protein, 20.5g fat, 22.6g carbs, 1.6g fiber
"Healthified" Egg Rolls = 112 calories, 13.8g protein, 5g fat, 1.8 carbs, trace fiber