I reserve my JUST LIKE SUGAR and JUST LIKE BROWN SUGAR for special recipes due to the expense, but WOW this was the BEST low carb cookie I have ever tasted! It was crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Perfect!
Just Like Sugar contains no sugar alcohols and does not cause the laxative effect of some of the other sweeteners. It is composed of natural fiber obtained from Chicory Root, Calcium and Vitamin C.
BENEFITS OF CHICORY ROOT:
1. CHOLESTEROL: It decreases the levels of serum LDL cholesterol in the blood.
2. INFLAMMATION: It contains vitamin C, one of the most powerful antioxidants.
3. DIABETES: The inulin content is not digestible, so its lack of glucose can help promote optimal blood sugar levels while also increasing stool bulk and consistency.
4. CONSTIPATION: It provides soluble fiber, which improves digestion.
5. GALL BLADDER ISSUES: It builds your body's resistance to gallstones and liver stones. By increasing the flow of bile, it assists the body in digesting foods and liquids. The extra bile also helps break down fats in the body.Chicory root has a mild laxative effect, increases bile from the gallbladder, and decreases swelling.
6. URINARY INFECTIONS, KIDNEY STONES and GOUT: It has diuretic properties that provide protection for the urinary tract system and kidneys. Toxins are removed and the cleansing of the body is stimulated because of an increase in urine flow. It has been used to expel gravel, calcium deposits, and excess uric acid from the body, which helps to prevent gout and kidney stones.
7. WEIGHT LOSS: Chicory root benefits weight loss because of the effect it has on the digestive system. It is an excellent source of fructooligosaccharides which help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your digestive tract. It also increases the rate of the break down of fats. It also helps with weight loss because it helps keep insulin levels low while enjoying sweet foods.
8. NATURAL "Liver" CLEANSER: Chicory root also supports the body's detoxification system through the liver and kidneys, and is believed to help with calcium absorption. Chicory also helps prevent jaundice and an enlarged liver when mixed with water. Because of Chicory Root’s potential for removing contaminants from the digestive system, the liver does not have to work as hard to filter out toxins that may have escaped into the bloodstream. It also acts as a gentle laxative and diuretic for removing excess water and toxins, and this can also reduce strain on the liver.
9. ANXIETY: It is a natural sedative and anti-inflammatory for the nervous system. If you have anxiety issues and still drink coffee, this sweetener can help.
10: INDIGESTION: It acts as an herbal antacid, the root neutralizes acid and correct acid indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, vomiting, upset stomach. Because it stimulates bile production, this helps to speed up the digestive process after eating too much rich food.
Click HERE to find JUST LIKE BROWN SUGAR. NOTE: Just Like Sugar is 96g fiber/cup; do not add to "melted" butter. This will cause it to gel up and get hard.
"HEALTHIFIED" CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
1 cup coconut oil or butter
1 cup Just Like BROWN Sugar (*mixing sweeteners creates a better flavor and texture)
1/2 cup Swerve
1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 ChocoPerfection Bars (chopped)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream the butter, sweetener and egg (Note: if using Just Like Brown sugar, I also add 1 tsp stevia glycerite for a better flavor). Cream for a few minutes until very fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth. Add in chocolate. Roll 2 TBS of dough into a ball in your hands (for uniform shape) onto a cookie sheet, then press down to they are about ¾ of an inch thick. Place cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before removing and enjoy! I keep mine in the freezer (for portion control!:) Makes 24 cookies.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per cookie)
Traditional Cookie = 180 calories 25 effective carbs
"Healthified" Cookie = 125 calories, 1.5 effective carbs
Here is a video of the process.
VARIATION: Smoosh my "healthified" ice cream in between!