Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Taco Shells and DEPRESSION
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Are you feeling a little "down in the dumps?" or not as "happy-go-lucky" as you once were? What types of foods are you putting in your mouth? Even if you are good 80% of the time and the other 20% you let loose with your diet, you may be filling your cells with trans-fat and those detrimental fats take 9 MONTHS to detox from our body!
When we consume even 1 gram of trans-fat, that plastic molecule finds our way to our cells and takes up the "parking" spot in our cells that were meant for healthy Omega 3 fats. The membranes of our neurons (the specialized brain cells that communicate with each other) are composed of a thin double-layer of fatty acid molecules. The myelin (the protective sheath that covers communicating neurons) is composed of 30% protein and 70% fat. One of the most common fatty acids in myelin is oleic acid, which is also the most abundant fatty acid in human breast milk and in other foods like coconut milk, coconut oil as well as the oils from almonds, peanuts, pecans, macadamias, and avocados.
When we consume trans-fats instead of healthy omega fats filled with oleic acids, our cells no longer communicate and "Happy Cells are Talking Cells." The increase in depression in North America is in direct correlation with the decline in consumption of omega 3 fatty acids. To read more on what foods cause depression click HERE to check out my book Secrets to Controlling Your Weight Cravings and Mood.
So let us all throw this common pantry staple in the garbage. Not only are the trans fat (hydrogenated oils) causing weight gain and inflammation (click HERE for more information), the corn and corn flour is a GMO food that contains ROUND UP (click HERE for more information).
Ingredients: Yellow Corn, Whole Grain Corn Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Hydrated Lime.
Let's make this recipe filled with brain building oleic acid! AND top it with some guacamole!
"Healthified" Taco Shells:
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup unflavored whey protein
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
Water (just enough to hold dough together)
Optional: Mexican spices
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift all the dry ingredients together. Slowly add in water, 1 TBS at a time until dough can hold a ball shape. Grease 2 pieces of parchment paper. Place 4 TBS dough onto greased parchment, top with the second piece of parchment (greased side down). Roll the dough using a rolling pin on top of the parchment. Roll until 1/16th in thick circle. Remove the top piece of parchment. Place the bottom parchment (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet, repeat with remaining dough. Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, form into a taco shell (the dough will be pliable). Place back into oven for 8-10 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to completely cool. Makes 4 servings.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per 2 shells)
Old El Paso Tortilla = 170 calories, 23 carbs, 2 fiber
"Healthified" Taco Shells = 104 calories, 2 carbs, 1g fiber