Here is another common staple in most people's pantries that you can easily recreate.
Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste)Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Salt, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed, Canola and/or Soybean)Flavoring, Ascorbic Acid, and Citric Acid.
You've all seen the commercial saying "Fructose, It's Natural" right? Yeah... so is heroin!
Facts on Fructose
1. Fructose = 100% of the metabolic burden rests on your liver.
2. Fructose bypasses the enzyme phosphofructokinase, which is the rate-limiting enzyme in the glucose metabolism pathway.
3. Consequently, large amounts of fructose are shunted past the sugar-regulating pathways and into the fat-formation pathway instead.
4. The liver converts this fructose to fat, which, unfortunately, remains in the liver = FATTY LIVER DISEASE
5. Consuming fructose is essentially consuming fat!
6. FRUCTOSE = high uric acid, increase blood pressure and causes gout.
7. Fructose has no effect on ghrelin (hunger hormone) and interferes with your brain’s communication with leptin (hormone that tells us we are full), resulting in overeating and causing leptin resistance.
"HEALTHIFIED" TOMATO SOUP
1 can Cantadina Thick and Zesty Tomato Sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4-1/2 cup veggie/chicken broth (depending on how thick you want it)
OPTIONAL: 1 drop stevia glycerite (for a sweeter taste that Campbell's has)
In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil and let the flavors meld a bit and serve! Easy! Makes 2 servings.
Serve with Grilled Cheese using my PROTEIN BREAD found in the book: The Art of Healthy Eating SAVORY.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving of soup)
Campbell's Soup = 90 calories, 19 carbs, 2g fiber
"Healthified" Soup = 74 calories, 10 carbs, 3.5g fiber