I remember eating Toaster Strudels like they were going out of style. Yikes, check out the ingredients...trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup.
Major Ingredients: Enriched Flour Bleached Water, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Apple Puree (10% of Filling), Maltodextrin: Allergen Warning Contains wheat, soy, corn, milk and egg ingredients as well as artificial color and flavoring.
WHY ZSWEET? It is another brand of erythritol and stevia mixed together. It comes in convenient large bags (as compared to the small tubs of Truvia). A lot of people prefer the taste of ZSweet over other non-caloric sweeteners.
CALORIES = 0
Glycemic Index = 0
SWEETNESS = same as sugar (use cup for cup)
1. WEIGHT LOSS and DIABETICS: It does not affect blood sugar metabolism. This makes it a great tool in weight loss programs, but it also for diabetics.
2. BLOOD PRESSURE: helps lower blood pressure.
3. ANTI-BACTERIAL: has anti-bacterial properties in that it helps to inhibit the growth and reproduction of harmful bacteria that lead to disease.
4. CANCER: It keeps your body in a ketogenic state so you can starve the cancer of sugar to kill it (read more HERE).
5. MAINTAINS SWEETNESS: Great for cooking; it maintains flavor that many other sweeteners lose when heated.
6. Erythritol isn’t metabolized by oral bacteria, which means that it doesn’t contribute to tooth decay. Erythritol gets absorbed and assimilated easily in the small intestines, which reduces fermentation.
4 TBS coconut flour
4 tsp erythritol (or Swerve)
1 tsp stevia glycerite (omit if using Swerve)
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
2 TBS butter or coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
Nature's Hollow Jelly
4 TBS cream cheese or coconut cream
1 drop stevia glycerite
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Combine all the strudel ingredients and combine until smooth. Using tinfoil, form 4 rectangular shaped cups to place the dough in, folding up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool, then using a knife, place a slit in the end and open the middle (without cutting the sides or other end).
Place the Jelly in a ziplock. Squish around until it is a mush. Squeeze into the corner of the bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner and squeeze into the strudel.
Place the cream cheese in a ziplock. Squish around until it is a mush. Squeeze into the corner of the bag. Cut a tiny hole in the corner and squeeze onto the top just like you would with a "toaster strudel" frosting.
Pillsbury Toaster Strudel = 190 Calories, 25 carbs, 1 fiber, 2 protein
"Healthified" Toaster Strudel = 182 calories, 7.2 g protein, 15.6 g fat, 1.5 g fiber, 1.9 g effective carbs
Click HERE to find ZSweet!